SLV Silver short interest at 70% of annual US production
Short Interest in the iShares SLV Silver ETF now stands at 26.5 million ounces- almost 8% of its 300 million shares.
But the kicker comes in when you compare the short interest to US production. A recent United States Geological Survey (USGS) report had highlighted that US produced 1160 tonnes of Silver in 2011- around 37 million ounces
So, at 26.5 million ounces, the SLV short interest comes to almost 70% of the entire US silver production.
Meanwhile, in the leveraged paper market, COMEX silver futures to physical silver bullion is currently at around 6.8:1!
- CME to launch 1,000/oz silver futures contract in June - April 18th, 2013
- Capitalizing on iShares Silver Trust ETF's bearish trend - April 17th, 2012
- Silver etfs hit resistance at 50-day average - March 21st, 2012
- Gold,Silver spot prices to drive mining stocks: Profit Confidential - March 8th, 2012
- Gold and silver etfs advanced this week - January 29th, 2012
- Silver stocks advance, SIL hits 2-month high - January 27th, 2012
- Gold and silver ETFs opened Wednesday down for a second-straight session - January 26th, 2012
- Pan American Silver set to acquire Minefinders - January 23rd, 2012