Shanghai Gold Exchange lifted silver margin requirements to a fresh high
China’s leading market for precious metals trading increased its silver margin requirements Friday to a fresh high amid heightened volatility in precious metals.
The Shanghai Gold Exchange lifted silver margin requirements to 18% of a contract’s value, up from 15% previously, according to data provided by ScotiaMocca, the metals unit of Scotia Capital.
It’s not clear when the new margin requirements come into effect, but a report by Reuters said it would likely be from Monday.
Reuters also reported that the margins would change further if price swings breach daily trade limits on Friday.
Brokers said the margin changes would affect Shanghai retail investors who have margin trading accounts.
“It is extraordinarily high — it’s higher than most other exchanges,” said ScotiaMocatta managing director Sunil Kashyap in Hong Kong, referring to the new margin requirements.
He said the hikes appeared intended to prevent sharp losses among small traders.
“It’s a continuing reaction to the problems that took place earlier this year in May and April and when there was extreme volatility in silver,” said Kashyap. “The exchange is a little bit skittish that we may have further volatility.”
The move appeared to drag on internationally traded Comex silver futures, as silver for December delivery traded down 1.1%, extending its retreat in early afternoon trading in East Asia.
The contract had tumbled 6.9% in regular Comex trading Thursday, joining a sell-off by gold and other commodities amid resurgent euro-zone worries. – MarketWatch
- Silver prices gain in major metros in India - April 26th, 2013
- Why Silver Price will Soar To $250 An Ounce - April 26th, 2013
- MCX Silver bullish resistance 44200 - April 25th, 2013
- US Silver Price Falls, Fifth Week In A Row - April 25th, 2013
- Collateral damage: the silver price - April 23rd, 2013
- Gold and silver price dive: physical sales surge, prices begin to rise again - April 23rd, 2013
- How Gold Silver prices were hammered and its fundamentals remain intact - April 17th, 2013
- MCX Silver likely to remain bearish with volatility support 42000 - April 17th, 2013